Representative Office

For Overseas Businesses

Is your company planning to open a representative office in Vietnam but don’t know where to start? Express Vietnam can guide you.

A representative office is basically an extension of its head company. It is a common method done by foreign companies who wish to expand their business in Vietnam. This enables foreign companies to conduct business activities/services, generate profit and enter into contracts within Vietnam without having a separate legal entity.

Who are eligible to register for a Representative Office?

In order to gain a better understanding of the Vietnamese market, companies can open a Representative Office (RO) at a low cost. For first-time entrants to the Vietnamese market, this option often precedes a larger presence within the country. However, not all foreign investors are qualified to create one. See if you meet the requirements for this kind of legal entity.

In accordance with Decree No. 07/2016/ND-CP, foreign investors will be granted a license if they meet the following criteria:

  • Companies from foreign countries or territories are parties to treaties signed by Vietnam
  • Obtain a valid business registration certificate or equivalent within 1 year of submission.
  • Operation scope is within Vietnam’s commitment to the treaties it has signed.

You can get in touch with us for more information if your operation’s scope conflicts with Vietnam’s commitments or if you’re not from a nation that has signed the Vietnam Declaration.

Processing Time​

Usually, it takes 1 month to process all the paperwork needed to open a general representative office in Vietnam.
  • Opening a representative office in Vietnam does not require capital, but it must meet certain requirements.
  • Establishing a representative office requires you to submit company-related documents. In the country of issuance, all documents must be consular legalized.
$2,900 USD

Applying For The Representative Office Service

Let us overcome hurdles first-hand, we’ll handle everything for you. All you have to do is to complete these easy steps:

Notice of New Branch Office/Facility

The notification of establishment of branch/representative office signed by the enterprise’s legal representative

Board Resolution

Owner’s Resolution or Decision


Passport or ID person head of Branch/Representative

General Power of Attorney

Power of Attorney to staff for Branch/Representative

Ready to register your Representative Office?

The registration can take up to 2-3 months.
Apply Now

Frequently Asked Question for Clients​

Read Full FAQ
01 Who needs a Vietnam visa?

A valid visa is required for almost all foreigners to enter Vietnam, except for those whose nationalities are included in the Vietnam visa exemption list approved by the Vietnam Government. The Vietnam visa exemption is granted to the following:

  1. Citizens of Cambodia, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, and Laos for visits of 30 days at the maximum.
  2. Citizens of the Philippines for visits of 21 days at the maximum.
  3. Citizens of Japan, South Korea, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Russia, and Finland for visits of 15 days at the maximum.
  4. Citizens of Brunei, Myanmar for visits of 14 days at the maximum.
  5. Citizens of France holding valid diplomatic or official passports for visits of 90 days at the maximum or several visits of 6 months at the maximum.
  6. Citizens of Chile holding valid diplomatic or official passports for visits of 90 days at the maximum.
  7. APEC Business Travel Card (ABTC) Holders from Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) member economies for visits of 60 days at the maximum.
  8. Citizens of the UK, Italy, Germany, Spain, and France for visits of 15 days at maximum until June 30, 2020.
  9. Citizens of Belarus for visits of 15 days at maximum until June 30, 2020
02 What if my passport expired? Can I apply for a visa to Vietnam?

If your passport is expired, you cannot apply for your Vietnam visa. Please renew your passport before applying for a visa to Vietnam.

Your passport must be valid for at least 6 months from your date of arrival in Vietnam.

03 I am a Vietnamese, currently living overseas with a foreign nationality, how can I get a Vietnam visa?

As Vietnamese overseas, you are kindly advised to choose either of the two following options:

  1. Apply for a visa exemption by visiting Vietnam Embassy/Consulate. For further information about Vietnam visa exemption for Vietnamese overseas, please read this link
  2. If you want to save time, you could apply for a Vietnam visa online with Express Vietnam.
04 What if my Vietnam visa is about to expire?

If your Vietnam visa is about to expire and you wish to stay in Vietnam for longer than your visa, you need to get it renewed. You should do it at least 10 days in advance. Contact us on Whatsapp or Facebook Messenger and we can help start your renewal process.